1/25/2013

Champions rookie wins in 14th start


Champions rookie wins in 14th start

Updated: March 20, 2005, 10:05 PM ET
Associated Press
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- Former California amateur star Mark Johnson won in his 14th start on the Champions Tour, holing an 89-yard shot for eagle on the final hole to cap a four-stroke victory in the Toshiba Senior Classic.
The 50-year-old Johnson, the qualifying tournament winner known as the "Beer Man" because he drove a Budweiser truck for 18 years before turning pro in 1998, finished with a 1-under 71 for a 13-under 200 total on the Newport Beach Country Club course.
"It was unbelievable," Johnson said. "Actually, I felt very good going into the last two days. I was pretty well focused this week and I just feel great."
Two strokes ahead after 17 holes, Johnson doubled his margin on the par-5 18th with his closing eagle. His pitching wedge shot went past the hole and spun back in.
He earned $247,500 for the breakthrough victory on the 50-and-over tour.
"You know, $247,500 is a lot of money for a beer truck driver," Johnson said. "It would take 7-8 years for me to make that delivering beer."
Johnson also eagled the par-5 15th hole in an up-and-down final round that also included two birdies, three bogeys and a double bogey. He began the day with a three-stroke lead over Keith Fergus after shooting a 63 on Saturday.
Fergus (71) and Wayne Levi (70) tied for second at 9 under, and first-round leader Gil Morgan (70), Don Pooley (65) and John Bland (69) followed at 8 under.
Johnson started the round with a pair of birdies and a double bogey.
"I knocked that shot out of bounds on the second hole," Johnson said. "but I made birdie putts on one and three that got me back to even par and settled me down a bit."
Johnson led the field with just 78 putts in 54 holes.
"I have worked so hard the last six years to get to this point," Johnson said. "I played a lot of competitive golf before this when I turned pro and it all helps to get you in this position."
Fergus had four birdies and four bogies in his even-par round.
"It was exciting," Fergus said. "I just didn't putt well. My four three-putts were tough to overcome."

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press

No comments:

Post a Comment